- Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar 1 2/3 cups 1 2/3 cups Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 cup cake flour 1 cup cake flour
- 10 large egg whites (about 1 1/2 cups) 10 large egg whites (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 1/4 cups 1 1/4 cups Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water 1 cup water
- 5 egg yolks 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3-5 lemons, depending on size) ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3-5 lemons, depending on size)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
Lemon Sugar Syrup
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 egg whites 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar 1 ½ cups 1 ½ cups Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
Filling and Garnish
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, dried, and sliced 1 cup fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, dried, and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together Florida Crystals® Raw Cane Powdered Sugar and flour; set aside.
In large bowl, beat egg whites on high speed with whip attachment until frothy.
Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
Fold in vanilla with a rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture in thirds, mixing just until flour disappears with each addition.
Pour batter into ungreased pan and smooth top with offset spatula.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched.
Invert cake in pan on funnel or bottle; cool completely.
Run a metal spatula or knife around the sides to loosen cake from pan; remove cake to serving platter.
In medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually whisk in water and bring to a boil over medium hight heat.
Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly to keep mixture from scorching the bottom of the pot, until it is shiny and thickened. Remove from heat.
In medium bowl, whisk eggs yolks. Whisk about 1/4 cup of the hot sugar mixture into the egg yolks; then, whisk the egg yolk mixture into the pot.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes or until temperature reaches a minimum of 160 F. and custard coats the back of the spoon. Do not allow mixture to boil or it may curdle.
Remove custard from heat and stir in lemon juice and butter until butter melts.
Turn custard into a heatproof container with a tight-fitting lid and cover the top with plastic wrap or parchment until it comes to room temperature.
Cover tightly and chill until ready to use.
Lemon Sugar Syrup
In small saucepot whisk sugar and cornstarch together. Whisk in water and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
Boil 2 minutes until sugar is dissolved and syrup is thickened and clear.
Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and let cool to room temperature before brushing on fruit.
Preheat oven to 275 F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment.
In clean bowl with whip or beaters, beat egg whites until frothy. Beat in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
Slowly bear in sugar and continue to beat, up to 10 minutes, until still peaks form.
Fill a piping bag fitted with a fluted tip with meringue and pip 3-inch rings on the baking sheet.
Bake 33-40 minutes or until dry and crispy.
Turn oven off and let meringue cookies continue to dry for 20 more minutes. Store in airtight container until ready to use.
Filling and Garnish
Slice Angel food cake in half.
Use an offset spatula to spread the lemon custard evenly on bottom layer.
Scatter 1/2 cup of the sliced strawberries on top, then replace the top piece of cake.
Place the meringue rings in a circle on the top of the cake and fill each ring with blueberries and the remaining strawberries.
Brush Lemon Sugar syrup generously over the fruit. Chill cake until ready to serve.
Double the custard recipe to fill two layers with custard.
Use the top or base of a glass or biscuit cutter to draw circles on the parchment to guide the piping bag for the meringue circles.