Apple Crumb Pie
- Prepared pastry for one-crust 9-inch pie
- 1/2 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cups apples, cored, peeled and sliced (4-6 medium)
Crumb Topping Ingredients
- 1 cup oats, rolled
- 3/4 cup firmly packed Florida Crystals® Organic Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp edges as desired; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, lemon rind, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add apples; toss well. Arrange in pastry-lined plate.
Crumb Topping Instructions
In small bowl, mix oats, brown sugar, flour and butter with pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Spoon topping over apples. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with alminum foil.
Bake 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake 40 minutes or until apples are tender. (When topping begins to brown, cover with foil.) Remove to cooling rack.