Apple French Toast
- 3 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup light cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 10 slices multigrain bread, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup walnuts, diced, optional
Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan; set aside.
Add apples, sugar and water to a sauté pan and stir over medium heat until all of the sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until the apples are fork tender.
In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom and orange zest. Add bread to the liquid; gently stir until all of the bread is coated. Pour into prepared baking pan.
Check apples and turn off heat. Stir in the butter. Keep covered. Drop cubes of cream cheese onto bread cubes. Remove apple mixture from heat. Spoon the apple mixture over the bread cubes. Cover pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake, covered, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.