Apple Yogurt Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) organic butter, softened, reserving 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1 1/2 cups Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1/3 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 medium organic apple, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced paper thin
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons Florida Crystals® Demerara Cane Sugar
- 1/3 cup organic whole almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon organic flour
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a deep 9-inch cake pan, preferably a springform pan with a removable bottom, if available, or line with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar 2 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
On low speed, add yogurt then applesauce and vanilla until blended.
In a medium bowl, sift flour with baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir into batter just until moistened.
Pour batter into prepared pan and gently smooth the top.
In a small bowl, toss the thinly sliced apple with cinnamon, sugar, almonds and flour. Spread topping over cake, gently pressing into batter.
Melt the reserved 2 tbsp butter and spoon over the top of the apple mixture.
Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until center is almost dry. If topping begins to get too brown, loosely cover cake with foil after 50 minutes.