Creamy Tomato Soup
This old-fashioned favorite will warm hearts and tummies.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 lbs. fresh, ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Florida Crystals® Organic Sugar
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (fresh or canned)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, to garnish
- Sour cream, to garnish
In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook the
onion, garlic and celery until tender. Add tomato paste; cook
1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, sugar, broth and thyme; season with salt and pepper as needed. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat; purée soup in blender or food processor. Return soup to the pot; reheat. Stir in cream—do not boil. Stir in parsley; serve
immediately. Add sour cream and sprig of rosemary to garnish.
You just can't beat the all-American lunch of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. This upscale version goes great with sesame breadsticks or seasoned flatbread crackers.