3 hours/ 2 days
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh ginger root, peeled
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 (1 liter) empty bottles with screw top caps
In a large saucepan, add 4 cups water, ginger root, lemon juice and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and add sugar. Stir until all of the sugar has dissolved.
Add remaining water. Remove pan from heat and let cool to 75°F.
Stir in yeast. Cover pot with a towel and place in a dark spot for 3 hours.
Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer.
Pour the liquid evenly into the bottles, leaving space at the top of the bottles for the expansion during fermentation. Cap the bottles and place them in a dark, warm spot for 2 days.
During these 2 days, you will need to carefully unscrew the bottle caps a small amount to allow some of the built up pressure to escape. Retighten the caps. This process will need to be done twice each day.
When fermentation is complete, store the ginger beer in the refrigerator for up to one week.