A classic chocolate chip cookie topped with a sweet icing that’s filled with warm and cozy holiday spices. A twist on a classic that will have everyone wanting more!
Meet the Chef: Mimi Council
Mimi Council is the owner and baker at Dessert’D Organic Bake Shop. Mimi and her desserts have been featured in SHAPE Magazine, The FeedFeed, The Nest, 100 Layer Cake, Green Wedding Shoes, and ESPN, among others. Mimi a freelance recipe developer and writer, and she is known for creating recipes with minimal, organic ingredients that can be baked at both sea level or at high altitude, with just one simple adjustment. She is an editor at The Feedfeed where she focuses on making high altitude recipes available within the food community. Mimi is also an author of the books Cookies for Everyone and The Mountain Baker.
- 1 stick (113 grams) Organic salted butter 1 stick (113 grams) Organic salted butter
- Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar 113 grams (1/2 cup) 113 grams (1/2 cup) Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 57 grams (1/4 cup) 57 grams (1/4 cup) Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Organic vanilla extract 1 teaspoon Organic vanilla extract
- 2 large Organic eggs 2 large Organic eggs
- 255 grams (2 cups) Organic all purpose flour 255 grams (2 cups) Organic all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Fine sea salt ½ teaspoon Fine sea salt
- 198 grams (1 cup) Organic semi sweet chocolate chips 198 grams (1 cup) Organic semi sweet chocolate chips
- Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar 283 grams (2 cups) sifted 283 grams (2 cups) sifted Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Organic milk 2 tablespoons Organic milk
- ½ teaspoon Organic Chinese five spice ½ teaspoon Organic Chinese five spice
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, light brown sugar, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no chunks of butter. Add the eggs and mix just slightly, enough to break the yolks.
In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking soda, and sea salt and whisk together. Add to the butter mixture and mix on low until combined into a stiff dough. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined.
Using your hands, form the cookie dough into 24 balls and place on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten them slightly so they are about 2-inches in diameter.
Bake for 11 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, milk, and Chinese five spice, Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Using a butter knife or spatula, frost each cookie.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
If you are following a gluten-free diet, just replace the all-purpose flour with 269 grams (1 3/4 cups) of organic gluten free flour blend.
Baking at a high altitude? Bake at 375°F for 8 minutes or until golden brown.