Lavender Earl Grey Ice Cream
1 quart of ice cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red natural food gel coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons blue natural food gel coloring
- 1 teaspoon pink natural food gel coloring
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole milk, divided
- 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- 3/4 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 teaspoons culinary grade lavender flowers
- 4 large organic egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 cups organic heavy cream
In a small bowl, mix red, blue and pink food gel coloring together; set aside.
Heat 1 cup milk in a saucepan until warmed. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add tea bags. Steep 10 minutes. Squeeze any liquid from tea bags and discard tea bags. Stir sugar into warm milk until it has completely dissolved.
In a separate saucepan, heat remaining ½ cup milk until warmed. Stir in lavender flowers. Steep 10 minutes. Strain milk. Discard the flowers. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
In a large bowl, beat egg yolks. Spoon some of the tea mixture into the bowl to temper the eggs. Whisk egg mixture into the tea mixture in saucepan and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches temperature of 160°F on a candy thermometer. Do not boil.
Remove pan from heat. Stir in heavy cream, lavender milk and food coloring; stir to blend. Chill mixture 45 minutes before adding to the ice cream maker.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your particular ice cream maker.
Store ice cream in a plastic airtight container in the freezer until ready to serve.