- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar ¼ cup ¼ cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 tablespoon water 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 lb ( 2 pints) strawberries, divided 2 lb ( 2 pints) strawberries, divided
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 cup 1 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/3 cup water 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 1/4 cup 1 1/4 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water 1 cup water
- 5 egg yolks 5 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3-5 lemons, depending on size) ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3-5 lemons, depending on size)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 package pre made pie pastry sheets (2 sheets total) 1 package pre made pie pastry sheets (2 sheets total)
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Use an 11" X 15" cookie sheet pan as a template and cut a piece of parchment to fit.
Roll out one sheet of dough on the parchment to about an 11" X 11" square. Cut an additional 4" strip of dough from the second sheet to cover the rest of the parchment. Roll out dough to the edges of the parchment, sealing the dough pieces together with the rolling pin. The dough can overhang the edges of the parchment when rolled out. Transfer the dough on the parchment onto the sheet pan and crimp the extra edges of the dough. Prick dough all over with a fork. Bake 8 - 10 minutes, watching carefully to not over bake. Hold aside before filling.
In medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in water and bring to a boil. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for up to 1 minute to keep mixture from scorching the bottom of the pot and until it is shiny and thick. Remove from heat.
In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks. Whisk about 1/4 cup of the hot sugar mixture into the egg yolks, then whisk the egg yolk mixture into the pot.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 3 - 5 minutes or until temperature reaches 160 F. Do not allow mixture to boil or it may curdle.
Allow filling to cool for 1 minute then pour into prepared crust tilting pan to spread filling evenly over the surface. Cover and chill at least 1 hour before proceeding with topping and serving.
In small saucepot over medium heat, whisk sugar, water and cornstarch together until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
All 1 cup blueberries and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until syrup is thick and glossy. Remove from heat, stir in remaining blueberries, and cool to room temperature.
Chill until ready to assemble tart.
Hull and slice 3 cups off the strawberries and hold aside.
Hull and coarse chop the remaining berries.
In medium saucepot over medium heat, whisk sugar, water, and cornstarch together until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
Add the chopped strawberries and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until syrup is thick and glossy. Remove from heat. Strain out strawberry pieces from syrup, reserving them for another use, such as smoothies. COll syrup until ready to use.
Stars & Stipes
Lower over temperature to 375 F.
Use the remaining pieces of dough and the sheet pan as a template to cut 13. Each 1/2" stars and 3/8" wide stripes out of the dough, taking into consideration different lengths that will be needed to create the flag. Sprinkle tops with granulated sugar, if desired.
Bake 5 - 6 minutes or until brown, watching closely that pieces do not burn.
Spread blueberry filling in upper left quadrant of the pastry to create space for the stars. Dot with the 13 pastry stars.
Layer the rest of the pastry with the sliced strawberries then brush them with the strawberry syrup.
Lay the 13 pastry stripes on top of the strawberry filling to finish the flag.