Star Spangled Summer Fruit Dessert
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, a pastry blender or your hands, add in butter and combine; dough will appear very crumbly at this stage. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, until dough forms.
Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll pastry on lightly floured board into 12x12-inch rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. Cut pastry into stars. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
In large bowl, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add fruit and toss to coat. Spoon into a 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 40 minutes at 350°F.
To serve: Spoon warm fruit filling into 8 mason jars. Top with 1 star pastry each.
You can freeze any leftover dough to use in your next batch of Star Spangled Summer Fruit Dessert!