These “Baby Bella” Portobello mushrooms are stuffed with big flavor thanks to dried apricots, prosciutto, goat cheese and the subtle sweetness of Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar.
- 4 oz. diced or chopped Prosciutto or pancetta 4 oz. diced or chopped Prosciutto or pancetta
- 8 ounces whole “Baby Bella” Portabella Mushrooms, washed 8 ounces whole “Baby Bella” Portabella Mushrooms, washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs, divided 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs, divided
- 1 ounce dried apricots, chopped 1 ounce dried apricots, chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese 4 ounces goat cheese
- ½ teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves ½ teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons half and half cream 2-3 tablespoons half and half cream
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 cup 1 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- ½ cup pomegranate juice ½ cup pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted ¼ cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- Pomegranate Arils Pomegranate Arils
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment.
Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add prosciutto, cover, and let fat render from prosciutto for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain fat and hold prosciutto aside.
While prosciutto is cooking, trim stems from mushrooms, leaving the caps hollow; then, wash and pat dry both the stems and caps.
After draining the fat from the fry pan, melt butter and oil together in the pan over medium heat. Finely chop mushroom stems to yield about ½ cup and saute until juices are rendered then reabsorbed. Stir in the salt and ¼ cup of the panko crumbs until combined then hold mushrooms aside to cool. Mix apricots, goat cheese, and thyme well into the cooled mushroom mixture to form a paste, adding cream, as necessary, if mixture is too stiff.
Stuff each mushroom cap with filling and place on prepared sheet pan. Top each with reserved Panko crumbs, pressing crumbs into the filling. Bake stuffed mushroom caps for 20 minutes or until centers are hot and crumbs are golden brown.
While mushrooms are baking, whisk together in small sauce pot over medium high heat the Florida Crystals® Raw Cane Sugar and Pomegranate Juice until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil, without stirring, for 1-2 minutes then remove from heat and hold aside. Syrup will be thick enough to drizzle when ready.
Drizzle mushroom caps with syrup; then, sprinkle tops with chopped walnuts and pomegranate arils.
Buy Florida Crystals® Now
Get our raw cane sugars and enjoy the sweetness of the only organic sugarcane grown in the U.S. From our family-owned farms, to our bags, to the store, to your door, holiday baking has never been easier.