The perfect dessert to share with family and friends after a holiday meal. This flaky shortbread crust is smothered with caramelized walnuts for a delicious and warm treat.
- 1 cup Plant-based butter (softened) 1 cup Plant-based butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cup Flour 1 1/2 cup Flour
- Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Walnuts, chopped 2 cups Walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup Plant-based butter 1/4 cup Plant-based butter
- Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Vanilla extract 1/2 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Non-dairy milk 3 tablespoons Non-dairy milk
Prepare the crust
Remove plant-based butter from the refrigerator and allow it to reach room temperature to soften.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once the plant-based butter is softened, mix it with flour, Florida Crystals® Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar, and salt in a bowl with a mixer or food processor until crumbly.
Press mixture into a greased 9x9-inch baking pan.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes or until the crust does not lose shape if poked with a spatula.
While this is baking, prepare the walnut filling.
Prepare the walnut filling
Start by crushing walnuts in a food processor.
Add walnuts to a large pan with plant-based butter, Florida Crystals® Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar, vanilla, and non-dairy milk.
Allow this to cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes while the crust is baking. Let it cook until the sugar forms a caramel consistency, then turn off the heat.
Remove crust from oven and pour caramelized walnuts over top while they are still hot.
Let sit for about 10 minutes until it firms up. Enjoy!
You can break the walnuts by placing in a bag and crushing under the weight of a heavy bowl. Less clean up!
Serve with vegan vanilla ice cream while still hot.
Our Favorite Vegan Recipes
Get organic, homegrown sweetness
Get our organic sugars at a retailer near you, at a price that feels right!