- 1 ½ pound Fresh jackfruit, sliced (about 2-inches thick) 1 ½ pound Fresh jackfruit, sliced (about 2-inches thick)
- 8 Slider buns of choice 8 Slider buns of choice
Citrus Barbecue Sauce
- Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar ½ cup ½ cup Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- ½ cup Freshly squeezed orange juice ½ cup Freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Soy sauce 1 teaspoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tapioca starch 1 teaspoon Tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon Dried minced onions 1 tablespoon Dried minced onions
- ¼ teaspoon allspice ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon Ground ginger ½ teaspoon Ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon Crushed red pepper ½ teaspoon Crushed red pepper
- 1 bag (12 ounces) Organic coleslaw mix 1 bag (12 ounces) Organic coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Apple cider vinegar ¼ cup Apple cider vinegar
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 3 tablespoons 3 tablespoons Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Celery seed ¼ teaspoon Celery seed
Fill a saucepot ½ full with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. While water is heating, remove seeds and the pods surrounding the seeds from the jackfruit. Slice the jackfruit into wedges, leaving the skin on. Add jackfruit pieces to boiling water, cover, and boil about 45 minutes or until flesh is soft and separates easily into strands.
Drain and hold aside to cool. Slice flesh away from the rind and gently shred flesh to make about 2 cups. Discard rind.
Citrus Barbecue Sauce
Prepare barbeque sauce while jackfruit is boiling. Stir or whisk all ingredients for the sauce together in small saucepot. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add jackfruit and simmer for 10 minutes. Hold aside warm until ready to serve.
Prepare the slaw. In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and celery seeds to make a dressing.
Combine coleslaw mix and the dressing. Toss until the coleslaw mix is well coated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Toss again before serving.
Assemble sliders. Heat slider buns, add jackfruit and slaw. Serve with a side of pickles and potato chips.
Wear food handler gloves when handling raw jackfruit as it naturally contains latex and can be sticky to the touch. Always wear food handler gloves when working with hot peppers and avoid contact with face. Wash all contact surfaces thoroughly.
Frozen jackfruit available at stores may be used for this recipe.