Mini berry galettes that have a taste of both summer and late fall. Blueberries and pomegranate pair beautifully, together making a jammy galette filling that is both sweet and tart. This recipe features a gluten-free crust that is easy to work with and wonderfully flaky.
Meet the Chef: Buttermilk by Sam
Sam is the recipe developer and food photographer behind buttermilk, a blog for innovative desserts. She bakes twists on trendy favorites and childhood nostalgic sweets. She is known for getting creative with chocolate babka and for baking in rainbows.
For the crust
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour 2 1/2 cups Gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 2 tablespoons + extra for sprinkling 2 tablespoons + extra for sprinkling Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Fine sea salt 2 teaspoons Fine sea salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter, cold & cubed 1 cup Unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 1/4 cup Ice water 1/4 cup Ice water
- 2 tablespoons Egg white 2 tablespoons Egg white
For the filling
- 1 cup Fresh pomegranate arils 1 cup Fresh pomegranate arils
- 2 cups Blueberries 2 cups Blueberries
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Tapioca starch 3 tablespoons Tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice 2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- 1 Egg 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Water 1 tablespoon Water
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar for sprinkling for sprinkling Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
To make the pie crust
Whisk together the flour, Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar and salt. Using a pastry knife, add in the butter until the butter is pea sized. Add the ice water and egg white and use your hands to knead the dough into a ball. Flatten into a disk and set in the fridge for an hour, or up to 2 days. If you’ve left it for longer than 2 hours, it may need to warm up a bit before it’s easily rolled.
To make the filling
Toss the arils and berries together gently. Add Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar and the lemon juice and toss to combine. Add the tapioca starch and combine gently. Set filling aside while you roll out the dough.
To make the mini galettes: Roll out the dough and use a large cookie cutter (6”) to cut five circles. Arrange the doughs on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spoon ⅓ cup of the filling into the center. Crimp the edges around the filling, if the dough cracks, use dough scraps to patch it up. Set in the freezer to chill for 20 minutes.
To bake the galettes
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Whisk egg and water together to make egg wash. Brush the edges of the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are golden.
Before you begin rolling it out, knead the pastry dough gently against a floured countertop to warm it up and make it easier to roll.
You can use lime juice in place of the lemon, or for a warmer flavor, add ½ teaspoon cardamom or cinnamon.
To “make” ice water, drop an ice cube into ¼ cup cold water before you start making the dough. Once the butter is combined, measure out only the ¼ cup you need from there.
To use very cold butter, take the butter out of the fridge, cube it and then set it in the freezer while you prepare the dry ingredients.