These classic cut out cookies with royal icing use Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar and Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar to create a perfectly delicious palate for your creativity. They can be festively decorated for any occasion all year round, or in honor some of the items found around our family-owned farms!
For the Cookies
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) Unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 cup 1 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 large Egg 1 large Egg
- 3 ½ cups All-purpose flour 3 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ¼ teaspoon Salt
For the Icing
- Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar 4 cups 4 cups Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Meringue powder 3 tablespoons Meringue powder
- 1/3 cup Warm water 1/3 cup Warm water
- As needed Organic food coloring As needed Organic food coloring
Step by Step Instructions
In a large bowl, with the mixer at medium speed, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add vanilla and egg, mix until well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Add to butter-sugar mixture. Mix at slow speed until just combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll the dough about ¼-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Place on prepared baking sheets and bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.
Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Allow the cookies to cool completely before icing.
Prepare the icing. Combine all ingredients together in mixing bowl, except the food coloring.
Beat on low speed until combined, then increase speed to medium high and beat for 5 – 8 minutes, adding 2-3 tablespoons more warm water, as needed. Icing should be stiff enough to hold a peak when tested.
Add food coloring of your choice, adjusting the amount depending on the intensity of the color you desire. Use this thick icing to outline cookies.
Use royal icing immediately. If you have left over icing, store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.