A classic skillet cornbread that is gluten-free and allergen friendly!
Meet the Chef: Rebecca Neidhart
Rebecca Neidhart is the baker, photographer, and creator of the blog Good Things Baking Co. She lives near Atlanta with her family where she loves to celebrate the simple, good things of life, especially the ones that have butter
- 1/2 cup Salted butter 1/2 cup Salted butter
- 1 cup Corn meal 1 cup Corn meal
- 1 cup Gluten-free all-purpose flour 1 cup Gluten-free all-purpose flour
- Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 cup Buttermilk 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 large Egg 1 large Egg
Preheat the oven to 400F. Put the butter in a 10” oven-safe skillet and put it in the oven until the butter has melted. Swirl the butter to grease the sides of the skillet and set aside.
Stir the corn meal, gluten-free flour, Florida Crystals® Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl until well combined. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk and egg, then pour in the melted butter from the skillet. Stir until well mixed, then spread the batter in the skillet and smooth the top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown on top. The cornbread is best served warm with butter.
If you don’t want to bake the cornbread in a skillet, you can use an 8” or 9” well-greased square baking pan.