- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup Florida Crystals Organic Raw Cane Sugar, divided 1 cup Florida Crystals Organic Raw Cane Sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated 4 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
- ¼ cup whole natural almonds ¼ cup whole natural almonds
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar ¼ cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 pint fresh strawberries 1 pint fresh strawberries
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line with parchment 2 — 8 inch round cake pan.
In mixer bowl with paddle attachment or hand mixer with beaters, cream butter and 3/4 cup of the Flordia Crystals Organic Raw Cane Sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and almond extract and continue to beat for 2 minutes.
In small food processor, grind almonds to the consistency of coarse meal or breadcrumbs; then, add ground almonds to batter.
In a separate mixing bowl, sift or whisk together flours, salt, and baking powder; then stir into batter.
Clean the bowl the dry ingredients were in to whip egg whites with clean beaters until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup of Florida Crystals Organic Raw Cane Sugar and beat until stiff peak form. Fold egg whites into batter.
Divide batter between the 2 prepared pans and bake 25 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes clean. Cool on wire rack before removing layers from pans.
Stabilized Whipped Cream
In a microwavable bowl or cup, heat 1/4 cup of the heavy cream until hot. Stir in gelatin until dissolved; then, let cool to room temperature.
In chilled mixing bowl with chilled beaters, whip remaining cream until soft peaks form; then, beat in reserved heavy cream with the gelatin and sugar until stiff peaks form. Chill until ready to assemble the cake.
Slice 1 cup of the strawberries for the filling and keep the rest whole, if desired, for the top.
In a separate bowl, fold the sliced berries into 2 cups of the whipped cream, chill to set the gelatin; then sandwich the 2 cake layers with the cream.
Decorate the top with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
Ground almonds can be made in a mini food processor and should have the consistency of coarse meal.
For best results, egg whites should be room temperature. Beat egg whites in a bowl that is not plastic.
For best results, heavy whipping cream should be whipped as cold as possible.
Do not over whip the cream.
Our Favorite Dessert Recipes
Get organic, homegrown sweetness
Get our organic sugars at a retailer near you, at a price that feels right!