Fluffy lemon cake with strawberry frosting in a tsunami cake style.
Meet the Chef: Sam Adler
Sam is a trained pastry chef, food blogger and photographer obsessed with creating beautiful food and images to match.
For the Cake:
- 1 cup Unsalted butter 1 cup Unsalted butter
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 ½ cups 1 ½ cups Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 3 Eggs, large 3 Eggs, large
- 1 Lemon, juiced & zested 1 Lemon, juiced & zested
- 2 ¼ cups All-purpose flour 2 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Kosher salt ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup Whole milk yogurt 1 cup Whole milk yogurt
- ¼ cup Milk ¼ cup Milk
For the Cake Fillings:
- ½ cup Unsalted butter ½ cup Unsalted butter
- Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar 2 cups 2 cups Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 cup Freeze dried strawberries, crushed 1 cup Freeze dried strawberries, crushed
- 1 tsp Heavy cream 1 tsp Heavy cream
For the Tsunami Frosting:
- 1 ¼ cups Heavy cream 1 ¼ cups Heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups Milk 1 ½ cups Milk
- 4 ½ tsp Arrowroot Starch 4 ½ tsp Arrowroot Starch
- 1 tsp Strawberry extract 1 tsp Strawberry extract
- 1 tsp Natural pink dye 1 tsp Natural pink dye
Prepare the cake layers:
Preheat the oven to 350° F and spray 3, 6” baking pans with baking spray or line with parchment paper.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar on medium speed for 1 minute until fluffy and pale yellow in color.
Add in the eggs one at a time, stopping the mixer before each addition. You may have to scrape down the sides-stop the mixer. Add in the lemon juice and zest and mix lightly.
In a medium size bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large mixing cup or a small bowl, combine the yogurt and milk.
Add in ⅓ of the flour mixture and mix on low until incorporated into the mix. Then add in ½ of the yogurt and milk mixture (while still on low). Then another ⅓ of the flour, the last of the juice, and the last of the flour mixture. Stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Pour the batter evenly into the two baking pans and bake for 30-35 minutes until the edges of the cake are golden brown and break away from the pan- or when the top of the cake feels firm and not jiggly.
While the cake is baking, make the filling.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in the dried strawberries and mix on low for 30 seconds. Add in the heavy cream and whip on medium speed for 30 more seconds.
Next make the cake frosting.
In a medium pot combine the heavy cream, milk, and arrowroot starch, and stir until smooth. After mixing, turn the heat to medium and whisk until the mixture has thickened. Add in the condensed milk, strawberry extract and food coloring. Stir and let cool.
Assemble the Cake:
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Lay one cake layer on a cake board, then top with the strawberry filling. Repeat with the remaining cake layers and frost the top of the last cake.
Wrap a sheet of clear acetate around the cake, securing it with tape. It should look like a tube around the cake. When the frosting has completely cooled, pour the frosting onto the cake (in the middle of the tube) making sure that none seeps through the sides. Sprinkle with more freeze-dried strawberries. When you’re ready to reveal, loosen the acetate and pull up. Watch the frosting fall!