This iconic Southern cocktail is the perfect refresher on a hot summer day. It is incredibly easy to make, composed of just mint leaves, bourbon, crushed ice, and simple syrup.
- Florida Crystals® Turbinado Cane Sugar 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Florida Crystals® Turbinado Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Water 2 tablespoons Water
- 8-10 Mint leaves, roughly torn 8-10 Mint leaves, roughly torn
- 5 Mint leaves, minced 5 Mint leaves, minced
- 1 Lime wedge 1 Lime wedge
- 1/2 cups (4 oz.) Bourbon 1/2 cups (4 oz.) Bourbon
- 2 Mint sprigs, for garnish 2 Mint sprigs, for garnish
- 2 cups Crushed ice 2 cups Crushed ice
Make a simple syrup
Combine 2 tablespoons Florida Crystals® Turbinado Cane Sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool before you prepare the cocktail
Prepare the cocktail
Make a sugar & mint rim on the glasses. Place minced mint leaves in a shallow bowl with 1/3 cup of Florida Crystals® Turbinado Cane Sugar. Mix until mint and sugar are evenly distributed. Rub the lime wedge along the rim of each glass. Dip each glass into the sugar and mint mixture.
Place 4-5 mint leaves and a tablespoon of the simple syrup in each of your 2 glasses. Muddle with a muddler or spoon until the mint leaves are dark and fragrant.
Pour 2 oz. of bourbon in each glass.
Fill the glasses the rest of the way with crushed ice. Garnish each drink with a mint sprig.
Feel free to prepare a larger batch of simple syrup if you will be making more than 2 drinks. If you have leftover simple syrup, you can keep it in the refrigerator for up to one week.