Sweetened with Florida Crystals® Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar and Organic Raw Cane Sugar, this soft, moist, 60’s inspired pineapple upside-down cake is guaranteed to please a crowd.
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter, melted 1/4 cup Unsalted butter, melted
- Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 10-15 Fresh pineapple rings 10-15 Fresh pineapple rings
- 1/2 cup Maraschino cherries 1/2 cup Maraschino cherries
For the cake batter
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, softened 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, softened
- Florida Crystals® Raw Cane Sugar 3/4 cups 3/4 cups Florida Crystals® Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 Eggs, at room temperature 2 Eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Sour cream, at room temperature 1/4 cup Sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Milk, at room temperature 1/4 cup Milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-free all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups Gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt 1/2 teaspoon Salt
Prepare the pineapple topping
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Pour ¼ cup melted butter into a 9” pie dish or cake pan. Make sure it is covering the bottom of the dish or pan completely. Sprinkle Florida Crystals® Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar over the butter.
Blot the pineapple slices dry, then arrange them on top of the brown sugar and on the sides of the pan. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple slice and in any other empty spaces at the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
Prepare the cake batter
In a medium sized bowl with a hand-held mixer, beat ½ cup of softened butter with Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar on medium speed for 1 minute or until creamed together. Then beat in the eggs, sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat on low speed until the ingredients are just combined.
Pour the cake batter over the pineapple topping in the pie dish or cake pan.
Bake for 45 minutes. Place a layer of tin foil on top of the cake 25 minutes into baking.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 15 minutes before inverting and serving.
- You can often find fresh pineapple already cut into rings at the grocery store. If you cannot find fresh pineapple rings, canned pineapple will work as well, but it will give you a slightly different taste and texture.
- Make sure the pineapple slices are thoroughly patted dry to ensure that the pineapple topping is not too thin and juicy.
Our Top Cake & Cupcake Recipes
Get organic, homegrown sweetness
Get our organic sugars at a retailer near you, at a price that feels right!