The intriguing addition of pumpkin pie spice and pureed pumpkin gives this European classic a unique twist, while Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar keeps the sweetness and crunchy top.
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup half and half cream 1 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 egg yolks 6 egg yolks
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin purée 1/4 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar ¼ cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
Preheat over to 325 F.
Set 6 (3 1/2-inch diameter each) ramekins in a 10x14x2-inch pan and hold aside.
In a medium saucepot, whisk cornstarch and cream together. Whisk in all spices; then, heat mixture over medium heat to a boil. Remove pot from heat and hold aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks with pumpkin puree, heavy cream, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of the Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar.
While whisking, slowly pour the hot spiced cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture until well blended.
Portion the custard evenly into the ramekins.
Carefully pour 1/2-inch of hot water into the bottom of the baking pan to create a water bath for the custard.
Carefully place the baking pan in the oven and bake 35 minutes or until custard is set but still slightly "jiggly" when the pan moves. Remove pan and cool 20-30 minutes before lifting ramekins out of the pan.
Cool custard an additional 20-30 minutes; then, cover each ramekin tightly with plastic wrap and chill custard at least 4 hours and, preferably, overnight.
Preheat oven to high broil and set oven rack no more than 4-inches from the heat.
Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of the reserved Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar evenly over the tops of each ramekin.
Place ramekins on a sheet pan and broil until sugar melts and caramelizes to a golden brown. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
For food safety, custard must reach a minimum of 160 F.
Do not let the plastic wrap touch the custard when wrapping the ramekins.
A kitchen torch can be used to caramelize the sugar, if available.
Custard must remain as cold as possible while caramelizing the sugar on top; otherwise, the custard will break.