Vegan Cinnamon rolls filled with caramel sauce, granny smith apple pieces and cinnamon.
Meet the Chef: Ciarra Siller
Ciarra is the baker, chocolate lover and food photographer behind the healthy dessert blog, Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate. On her blog she creates, style, and photograph her own healthy dessert recipes.
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 14oz can Sweetened condensed coconut milk 1 14oz can Sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups All-purpose flour, divided 4 - 4 1/2 cups All-purpose flour, divided
- 1 packet Instant rise yeast 1 packet Instant rise yeast
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Almond milk, warm 1 1/2 cup Almond milk, warm
- 4 tbsp Vegan butter, melted 4 tbsp Vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Vegan butter, room temperature 1/4 cup Vegan butter, room temperature
- Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Ground cinnamon 1 tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
- Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar 2 cups 2 cups Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Prepare Vegan Caramel Sauce
For the filling you will need vegan caramel sauce (you will also reserve some of his for drizzling over the rolls). Pour the contents of the sweetened condensed coconut milk into a glass mason jar and cover tightly with tin foil (do not screw on a lid). Place the jar into pot and fill the pot with water until the water is above the sweetened condensed milk line and then bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer and simmer for 3 hours, adding water as needed so it never goes below the milk line. You can prepare this up to one week in advance and store it in the refrigerator. You can also make this the same way in an instant pot in 40 minutes.
Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Add 2 cups of the flour, yeast, Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar, and salt to a bowl of a mixer and combine. Once combined, add in the warm almond milk and melted butter and whisk until smooth. Attach a dough or hook attachment and turn on low speed. Slowly add the remaining flour until a dough starts to form. Cover the dough and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Dust a large piece of parchment paper with flour and roll out the into a large rectangle. Spread the room temperature butter in a thin layer over the dough leaving about a half inch around the edges. Sprinkle the Florida Crystals® Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar and cinnamon over the butter and then top with the apple pieces. Drizzle the premade caramel over the apple pieces and then tightly roll up the dough starting on the wider side. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 10 evenly sized pieces. Place the pieces into a baking dish prepared with parchment paper or non-stick spray about half inch apart. Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm place OR you can chill the rolls overnight and let them rise in the morning. If making them immediately, I like to turn my oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit and then turn it off and crack the door and let the rolls rise in there. After 30 minutes, turn the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the rolls for 20-22 minutes.
Prepare Glaze and Serve
Once you pull the rolls from the oven, whisk together the Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar, almond milk and vanilla until you have a smooth glaze. Pour the glaze over the warm rolls and then drizzle with more caramel if desired and serve.