These vegan cinnamon rolls by blogger Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate are filled with caramel sauce, granny smith apple pieces and cinnamon.
Meet the Chef: Ciarra Siller
Ciarra is the baker, chocolate lover and food photographer behind the healthy dessert blog, Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate. On her blog she creates, style, and photograph her own healthy dessert recipes.
For the Dough:
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour divided 4 - 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour divided
- 1 packet instant rise yeast 1 packet instant rise yeast
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk, warm 1 1/2 cup almond milk, warm
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 can sweetened condensed coconut milk 1 can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegan butter room temperature 1/4 cup vegan butter room temperature
- Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Florida Crystals®Organic Light Brown Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 granny smith apple cored and chopped 1 granny smith apple cored and chopped
For the Glaze:
- Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar 2 cups 2 cups Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling you will need vegan caramel sauce (you will also reserve some of this for drizzling over the rolls). Pour the contents of the sweetened condensed milk into a glass mason jar and cover tightly with tin foil (do not screw on a lid).
Place the jar into pot and fill the pot with water until the water is above the sweetened condensed milk line and then bring the water to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce to simmer for 3 hours, adding water as needed so it never goes below the milk line.
You can prepare this up to one week in advance and store it in the refrigerator. You can also make this the same way in an instant pot in 40 minutes.
Add 2 cups of the flour, yeast, Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar and salt to a bowl of a mixer and combine. Once combined, add in the melted butter and warm almond milk and whisk until smooth. Attach a dough or hook attachment and turn on low speed. Slowly add the remaining flour until a dough starts to form. Cover the dough and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Dust a large piece of parchment paper with flour and roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Spread the room temperature butter in a thin layer over the dough leaving about a half inch around the edges. Sprinkle Florida Crystals® Organic Brown Raw Cane Sugar and cinnamon over the butter and then top with the apple pieces. Drizzle 1/2 cup of the caramel over the apple pieces and then tightly roll up the dough starting on the wider side. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 10 evenly sized pieces. Place the pieces into a baking dish prepared with parchment paper or non-stick spray about half inch apart.
Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm place OR you can chill the rolls overnight and let them rise in the morning. If making them immediately, I like to turn my oven to 200 F and then turn it off and crack the door and let the rolls rise in there. After 30 minutes, turn the oven to 350 F and bake the rolls for 20-22 minutes.
Once you pull the rolls from the oven, whisk together Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar, almond milk and vanilla until you have a smooth glaze. Pour the glaze over the warm rolls and then drizzle with more caramel and serve.