Vegan horchata with pumpkin puree and spices.
- 1 cup Organic long-grain white rice 1 cup Organic long-grain white rice
- 5 cups Water 5 cups Water
- 3 Cinnamon sticks 3 Cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups Organic almond milk 2 cups Organic almond milk
- 1 (15 oz.) can Pure organic pumpkin 1 (15 oz.) can Pure organic pumpkin
- Florida Crystals® Turbinado Cane Sugar 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Florida Crystals® Turbinado Cane Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin pie spice 2 teaspoons Pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons Pure vanilla extract 2 teaspoons Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ¼ teaspoon Salt
In a blender, add rice and 2 cups of water. Blend at high speed for about 2 minutes. Remove blender jar from the base and add 3 cups of water and 3 cinnamon sticks to the rice mixture. Mix and cover. Refrigerate overnight.
The next day, carefully strain the rice water through a strain lined with 3 layers of cheesecloth into a large pitcher. Squeeze as much liquid as possible. Discard rice solids and cinnamon sticks.
In a small saucepan, combine almond milk, pumpkin, turbinado sugar, pumpkin spice, vanilla extract, and salt. Heat the mixture and stir until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool down.
Strain the pumpkin mixture into the rice mixture. Whisk until combined. Refrigerate. Serve over ice and sprinkle turbinado sugar and ground cinnamon as garnish. Stir horchata often to keep flavors and textures mixed together.
To save time, store bought rice milk can be replaced for rice water made from scratch. Use 4 cups of rice milk and continue onto step 3 of recipe.
Our Favorite Fall Recipes
Get organic, homegrown sweetness
Get our organic sugars at a retailer near you, at a price that feels right!