These light and fluffy waffles are naturally colored with freeze dried strawberries and topped with homemade strawberry syrup and whipped cream!
- 2 ½ cups All Purpose Flour 2 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar ⅓ cup ⅓ cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Buttermilk 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 Large Eggs 2 Large Eggs
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter, melted ¼ cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Freeze Dried Strawberries, ground Freeze Dried Strawberries, ground
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen strawberries 1 cup Fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 cup Water 1 cup Water
- Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar ½ cup ½ cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons Florida Crystals® Organic Powdered Raw Cane Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla and then add to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined (it’s okay if the batter is still a little lumpy).
Heat your waffle iron and spray with a non-stick pan spray, then pour the waffle batter onto the hot iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Repeat with the remaining waffle batter. Note: most waffle makers will cook your waffles in about 4-5 minutes.
Keep your waffles warm and crispy by placing them on a baking sheet in the oven set to about 200°F.
Waffles are best eaten the same day.
For the ombre waffle effect: cook the first waffle with the plain waffle batter. Then add in a small amount of the strawberry powder until the color changes slightly, then cook the next waffle. Keep adding in a small amount of strawberry powder before each new waffle. For two stacks, add in more powder after every two waffles, etc.
Place the strawberries and water in a medium sized saucepan over low heat.
Let them simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes or until the strawberries are soft and have lost most of their color. The water should be deep red in color.
Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the strawberry water into a separate pot and discard the strawberries.
Bring the strawberry water up to a boil and simmer until it has reduced by about half (roughly ½ cup).
Add in the Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Remove from the heat and let cool completely to room temperature.
Store the syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month.
Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a large bowl and hand mixer, combine the whipping cream, Florida Crystals® Powdered Raw Cane Sugar, and vanilla.
Beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Our Collection of Organic Raw Cane Sugar Recipes
Get organic, homegrown sweetness
Get our organic sugars at a retailer near you, at a price that feels right!